Bookword is about books (of course), reading, writing and publishing them. It’s about words, libraries (because we need to fight for them), reviews, books as objects and in series. On this blog you will find reflections about reading, writing and publishing. You are invited to join in, make comments, offer suggestions and share opinions. There is a new post every 5 days.
(Please note: this blog has no relationship to the company that sells books from the website bookword.uk. I have never seen a company with such poor ratings: 99% (of 80 reviews) say it is bad and the remaining 1% say poor. It seems to persuade people that they will acquire real books, but sends them links to ebooks. The general conclusion is that you should avoid this site.
As I say, the Bookword Blog has nothing whatever to do with that site. In fact I was rather miffed that they decided to adopt the blog’s name for themselves. Didn’t they do a search in advance of their launch?)
Some posts on my blog are about the processes of writing and my current involvement with writing: this blog, non-fiction (published) and fiction (unpublished and published).
‘When you write, you lay out a line of words,’ says Annie Dillard at the start of The Writing Life. ‘The line of words is a miner’s pick, a wood-carver’s gouge, a surgeon’s probe. You wield it and it digs a path you follow. Soon you find yourself deep in new territory. Is it a dead end, or have you located the real subject? You will know tomorrow, or this time next year.’
Like many writers I am also a reader. The connection is explored in Francine Prose’s book: Reading like a writer: a guide for people who love books and for people who want to write them. Great title, great name! That’s my kind of book.
Bookword blog celebrates books, owning them, organising them, as objects, in libraries. I am especially, but not exclusively, interested in promoting books by women. And this blog celebrates words, individual ones, odd ones, untranslatable ones and mellifluous ones as well as words in interesting combinations.
I run two series:
- the Decades Project (once a month a book from successive decades) which in 2019 will focus on children’s literature. In 2017 I explored fiction by women, and in 2018 nonfiction by women.
- Older Women in Fiction (every two months) in which I review books with a major female character who is over 60. So far about 40 books have been reviewed. There is a list of other recommendations on the page: About the Older Women in Fiction Series.
Please join in by any of the following means:
subscribing (you will receive email notifications of new posts)